The Route South

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Will work for..... boat.

It was a busy winter in Stuart. We had several projects we wanted to do on Morning Star, plus there was a trip to Clearwater for Christmas as well as a few trips back for Randy to spend some time at the office.

First on Cindy's To-Do list was new carpeting. She spotted carpeting she really liked on a Krogen 48 in Maryland this past summer so when we got to Stuart she went to work locating a dealer and getting it ordered. Of course, it's never as simple as that! We had to measure and diagram the layout we wanted.  The carpet had to be ordered and when it finally came in it had to be cut to size and then the edges bound. By the time it was all done the binding was almost as expensive as the carpet, but in the end we really like it.

We continued on our exterior teak-painting project, painting the cockpit trim. Slowly but surely, it's coming together.

The head compartment (that's where the toilet and shower live) desperately needed attention. The previous owner had installed some kind of laminate on the walls and we have never been fans of the stuff. Well, it finally made it to the top if the project list so one day we visited the paint department at Home Depot and came home with an arm-load of paint and supplies. The old laminate had to come off and since it was stuck on with a heat-cured glue, a heat gun and scraper were the tools of choice. But first we had to take down the medicine cabinet, towel bars, toilet paper holder and lights. This was stored, where else, in the middle of the "living room". Once the laminate was removed, I had to reheat the left over glue to scrape it off. There was Formica on three of the four walls that had to be sanded and old paint over Formica on the forth wall. More heating, scraping and sanding and we were finally ready to mask off the teak trim and begin the priming. One coat of primer and two finish coats later and the head looked great.  It's only a 3'x 3' compartment but it took four days!

The clutch on the anchor windlass has been slipping so it needed servicing. We had to remove it and drive it down to Riviera Beach. When I installed the windlass originally I really gooped it up (technical term) with 3M-5200, an adhesive and caulk product known for its tenacious bonding properties. I can report that, without question, this stuff really works. It took a razor knife, two screw drivers, a crowbar and a rubber mallet to get the darn thing loose. The next day we drove down to Riviera Beach to the repair station and dropped it off. While they fixed the problem and serviced the windlass, Cindy and I made a Costco run and stocked up for our upcoming trip to the Keys. By the time we were done shopping and had lunch, the repair folks called to report that the windlass was done and we could pick it up. I love it when a plan comes together! But it took another session with the mallet, wrenches and more 5200 to re-install the darn thing the next day.

It wasn't all work though. Sprinkled in was a trip to Ft. Lauderdale and back to help Mike Warren deliver his brand new Krogen 52 for TrawlerFest. Also several Krogen owners (all men) did a road trip to Vero Beach to the Piper aircraft plant.

Capt. Mike, Cindy and Larry in "Suite Judy's" pilothouse enroute to Ft. Lauderdale.

Guy's day out at the Piper plant

We had some work done on the generator, had the bottom wiped down and did some other maintenance work in preparation for March in the Keys! It's time to get moving again!